Addressing Issues with Frontier Communications

I understand there have been many complaints regarding the recent conversion from Verizon to Frontier Communications. These concerns are important to me.

I have been working with the CA Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) to make sure they adequately address these issues and have them resolved in a timely manner.

My District Office staff is on hand to assist you - they will work directly with the CPUC and Frontier to resolve your issue on your behalf. You can connect with my staff by calling 562-429-0470 or via email.

In addition, please be sure to lodge a complaint with the CPUC Consumer Affairs Branch so they will have data related to these issues.

California Public Utilities Commission Consumer Affairs Branch
Telephone 1-800-649-7570 | Fax: 1-415-703-1158
Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm

For issues with internet service that is not regulated at the state level, you can file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).