(LONG BEACH) – Today, Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell (D-Long Beach) announced adding an ambitious team of summer interns who will assist with the day-to-day activities of his District Office. The summer internship program gives students hands-on experience with the legislative process, community outreach, and constituent services in order to foster their career goals.
As a classroom teacher, the Assemblymember is a firm believer in providing young people with the opportunity to learn more about the State Legislature as they work to expand their resumes and professional networks.
“The knowledge I gained from my own internships was invaluable and proved to be instrumental in helping me find my calling as a public servant,” said Assemblymember O’Donnell. “I look forward to working with these talented young individuals to ensure they get the most out of this unique learning experience.”
The Assemblymember is welcoming seven local high school and college interns:
• Ilene Gonzalez: Ilene will be embarking upon her senior year at Long Beach’s Cabrillo High School this coming fall. She is interested in pursuing a career in law and is actively involved with Cabrillo’s teen court and mock trial programs.
• Breana Nguyen: Breana recently completed her freshman year at Irvine Valley College where she is majoring in political science. Breana applied for the summer internship program because she admires the Assemblymember’s work on behalf of students, particularly those in the LGBTQ community.
• Sterling Raiklen: Sterling is entering his junior year at Long Beach’s Millikan High School and possesses a strong interest in policy and the internal workings of government.
• Destiny Saucedo: In the fall, Destiny will be a senior at San Pedro High School and is heavily involved in education policy as a member of LAUSD Superintendent Michelle King’s advisory council. In addition, she is a member of the International Trade Education Program.
• Richenny Thary: Richenny is a junior at the California Academy of Mathematics and Science where she is involved in the FIRST Robotics Competition team, the school orchestra, as well as the debate and speech club. She has also demonstrated an early love for public service as the secretary on her class’s elected board.
• Vanndearlyn Vong: Vanndearlyn is going into her senior year at Long Beach’s Millikan High School. She is active in the Cambodian community in Long Beach, having volunteered with Assemblymember O’Donnell’s Woman of the Year, Chan Hopson, and the Khmer Parent Association.
• Sara Zarate: Sara will be entering her senior year at Long Beach State where she is involved in the President’s Ambassadors program and serves as President of Tri Delta Sorority. She is majoring in political science with an emphasis in law, policy, and politics.
Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell represents the 70th Assembly District, which includes Long Beach, Signal Hill, San Pedro and Catalina Island.